Wednesday 15 July 2009

CAMERA FUN

Now even I am quite pleased with this photo. I love the fact that you can see a spider's thread and the light through the petals.
There is a setting on the camera for leaf I assume to bring the green out I can't remember and looking at a disc on the computer can't replace a book. I must print some off for quick reference.
Clearly the above is with the leaf setting when I first took them I liked them but now I don't think I do. I soon stopped using it at Hampton court as in the marquees everything was yellowy green.
Somewhere between the two would suit me . What do you think?



Taken on different days I liked the above and I think that was with leaf setting.


This is Rouge Cardinal and I didn't realise I'd done the same thing twice from different days but couldn't decide which I liked best so as I'd loaded onto blogger I let them stay.
Nelly Moser below is a late flower and with the leaf setting but she hasn't much stripe I think that was bleached by the sun not the camera because the stamens are a good colour.
Well I had to get Prince Charles in again, you can't really ignore him he is so lofty.

This was my last acquisition Marmori and I have just had to dash out and water her as I had forgotten she was a bit wilty. They do need cossetting the first year or two until their roots get well established. Like most plants.A wet day with leaf and a dry day below without leaf settings. what do you think?
Sorry I should have introduced you all these three are Perle D'azur a very vigorous clematis which is pruned hard 3.
Last but not least Comptesse d'Bouchaud which is doing well again this year in my cherry tree.
Now all you garden bloggers and photographers any advice or tips will be gratefully received. Don't hold back constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

14 comments:

  1. Joanne, looks like you are really having a great time with your camera. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the spiders thread glistening Joanne - your photo captures it quite beautifully. A bit late on in the day for constructive thoughts from me about photography related matters . The main hints I have picked up are that early morning and evening are the best times for taking photos of plants. Not always possible though. Interesting to hear that you have a leaf setting on your camera - I have a flower setting but no leaf setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne, your photos are very beautiful, full rich color, very crisp. I think the second snap of the garden is the best choice, for our purpose. We do like to see every nook and cranny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still having trouble figuring out my camera settings too so I keep practicing on different settings and reading the manual.
    I googled photography tips and got a few tips but you might want to check out the tips on the Pioneer Woman blog.
    I think your photos are lovely-your clematis are beautiful.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your pictures with the leaf setting, especially the Japanese maple, you can really see the color. I think you're doing great with your new camera, it really captures a lot of detail.
    I find with the foliage (that's probably the same as your leaf setting) on that sometimes if it's mostly green that I'm taking a picture of that it looks too green. Lighting seems to play a huge part in how the pictures turn out, and certain times of the day no matter what setting I use I don't like how pictures turn out.
    I'm far from an expert, so I'll be interested to see what other people say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your beautiful garden :-) There aren't many gardens like yours in the states - it's a treat to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No comment as they say - I would be very pleased to take pictures as good as that and to capture those wonderful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are fab. I don't use pre-fixed settings like your leaf one, I prefer to change things on the computer if need be - colour saturation, contrast etc. I was taught the non-digital way... Just have fun and if you keep taking pictures like these you'll be doing great x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joanne, you are so smart to think to print out the instructions. As for the differences, I like the non leaf setting better. On my own cameras I don't like what it does to the shot, but that might be my own shortcomings as a photographer. It seems the leaf setting would be exactly what we need to take garden shots, doesn't it? I am loving your Hoheria too.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joanne, gardening is an interesting adventure. But camera made the split second moments of joy to be sealed up permanently for later view. Others can share the joyous moments as well... Oh, you are getting very quick with zooms and snaps.

    Have a great weekend!
    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joanne:

    Your photos (and your garden) are so good I've decided to just plow my garden under and paste your pictures onto cardboard cutouts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all your comments. I will look into some of the tips. I apologise although it is a picture of a leaf it is called foliage what a dummy I am.
    I have printed off about 200 sheets so i will take on my trip to Dad's in a few days and then whilst without my computer I can learn about my camera. Mike will be chief gardener can whilst I am away.
    Carrie fiddling with computer settings is also a whole new ball game for me.

    Joe so glad that lyme hasn't destroyed your sense of humour.
    Bangchik put beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always think your pictures are gorgeous. I wish I could do as well. I'm still getting the hang of my camera so I can't offer much help. I think you are doing a very fine job indeed. -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome garden! The photos are lovely. Good work.http://www.purlyeverlasting.blpgspot.com

    ReplyDelete