Tuesday 30 June 2009

FIVE JASMINES

Where I enjoy sitting by the back door, I am surrounded by five different Jasmines amongst other things.

The first was grown from seed and given to me by Mary. It is Jasminum Officinale Clotted Cream. The perfume is divine. It is one of two, the other I planted near the front door so that we could enjoy the perfume as we went in and out of the house. As it is so hot at present and the doors are open the smell wafts inside.
I planted Clotted Cream in amongst Trachelospermum Jasminoides which has not flowered yet this year. Just a few glossy leaves near the bottom right of the photo. It scrambles up into the Banksiae Banksiae rose.

Behind my seat is the Winter flowering Jasmine J Nudiflorum. I have this Jasmine at the front of the house under the window so both can be seen from indoors when they flower in winter and I don't want to venture out. They also make good foils for clematis.


At the far end of the terrace is Jasminum Officinale alba. Although this is actually a photo from the arch so I am cheating.

Last but not least is the house plant at my feet. I thought I'd killed it in the winter and I am delighted to see it back in growth.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne, how fortunate to have so many wonderful fragrant jasmines in your garden. The scent must be swoon inducing. I also loved your piece about your dear friend Mary and her rose.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an aromatic post Joanne! Do you add jasmine blooms to your tea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scent of jasmine - it's one of favorites along with lavender. -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Jasmine is one of my favorite smells in the garden. Yours are so big! I've grown Star Jasmine before, but it has a hard time here in the winter, I miss it's fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scent of Jasmine - hard to think of anything nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds wonderful, Joanne. I love jasmine and I have a couple in the garden, but although it grows like crazy, and it's on a sunny fence, it never flowers very well. What do you do to yours to get it to flower like that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jasmine is such a delightful scent. We have 2 one winter and one summer one. The summer one is growing well and looks in good condition but no flowers yet, I think it's in too shady a spot, it has to wait until around high/late summer to get the sun. It's the smell of my honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like heaven to me. I'll just take in a deep imaginary sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm.. we can just sit and marvel at plants.. so nice and pretty.

    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete